Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Freshmen Newbies

So this week was the first week that the freshmen came to the clubs they wanted to join.

Anime club was loaded with new faces which was really awesome. I know this is gonna be a great year of anime club. Next week we'll be selling Pocky at the Food Fair and walking in the Homecoming Parade cosplaying.

Today was GSA club and we had quite a lot of people join. We went into a seminar discussing about a new law that allows history classes to talk about people of different sexual orientations that helped shape our society. It got really interesting to talk about the tolerance of homosexuality in today's communities.

I think it'd be great to talk about people of different sexual orientations in our schools, especially in elementary school so we don't question this later when people think we should know it already. I mean if we let racial diversity being taught in school then why not sexual orientation diversity? I really don't find it fair that when I was in grade school I wasn't taught much about Asian and African American history cause I lived in a town where everyone was either Caucasian or Mexican, no Asians, and anyone I grew up with who was black was most likely adopted by a white family. I'm not kidding. It wasn't called White County for nothing. Anything I learned about African American or Asian history was 99% of the time from the History Channel.

When I moved at age eleven, I knew what homosexuality was and I was totally fine with it. It didn't bug me at all. I got new friends and most of them were bisexual. I'm an affectionate person so I have a tendency to hug people and a group of snobby girls saw that as a bad thing when I'd hug my friends and would pull the "Are you a lesbian?" crap. I find this annoying when people can't leave a person alone for their sexuality. At my new school, anyone gay or bi usually kept it hidden unless they were dating someone of the same sex. It ticks me off that no one could freely be proud of who they were because other people saw it as wrong. I mean what if I was actually a lesbian? That'd hurt so much with what those girls did. But you know what that was over a year ago so I could totally care less and that's just a chapter in my life I wish to say, in the words of Cee-Lo Green, forget you.

I was glad to move here cause no was so picky about sexual orientation. Granted it still exists but it's not as bad. I was glad to join the GSA and meet more people and probably think of ways to help my bi friends back in Indiana to tolerate with this. And I really support schools teaching about people of different sexual orientations so kids see that it's okay to love the same sex if you want to.

And this intolerance bugs me so much. How many times in history do we have to keep doing this? Fifty years ago everyone hated African Americans and twenty years before that it was the Irish and it just keeps going and going all the way to Biblical times with the Jews. How long is this gonna keep up? Till the end of time? People should seriously get over themselves with racial and sexual orientation discrimination. Yes, the Mexicans take our jobs to live in a decent country without being deported, but they're jobs that we don't want in the first place. And so what if someone is gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender? It's who they are and what makes them a unique individual whether they like boys or girls.

This is the definition of marriage I found on dictionary.com: An institution where a man and a woman make their decision to become husband and wife.

I got a little irritated seeing gay marriage right underneath that. I know it's supposed to be between a man and a woman, but does that really matter? It should be about love, right?

So here's my new definition on marriage: The bond between two people who love each other to be together forever.

Sexuality has nothing to do with it.

This is why I get mad that religious people get in the way with their kids being themselves. I hate it when they see it as wrong and won't accept their kids for who they are. It's ironic seeing how Christianity tells us to love everyone but being homosexual is a bad thing when it really isn't. It's why these kids get so depressed because they're bullied and no one's there to support them because they won't be accepted or are too scared of what their parents may think and they end up killing themselves. My heart drops when I hear that stuff on the news with 14-year-olds killing themselves cause they just choose to end a life that hasn't really begun so soon... It hurts so much...

Well that was my rant...

GSA won't be doing Food Fair cause we're not allowed to sell energy drinks and it's too last minute to change it. But we will be in the parade too.

And tomorrow's Drama Club and I'm really hoping my sister does get a part in the play. It's my first year of drama so I'll be doing tech stuff and whatnot.

School's slowly getting busier... Have my first group project in Spanish and I think I'm stuck with some slightly clueless people... Will soon be reading The Canterbury Tales in English.. And I'm still brainstorming my final dance choreography before December... It's going pretty slowly. Heh..

XOXO,
Liz


No comments:

Post a Comment