Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Serious Subjects People Ignore


Yeah remember that book I got yesterday? Thirteen Reasons Why? Well I finished it today... And cried my eyes out. Yes it's really sad when the reasons are revealed why the girl, Hannah, killed herself, but there's a somewhat happy end. It's a really really good book and opens up people's eyes to the world around them and what can be hidden sometimes under our noses.

Today in advisory we were discussing cyberbullying and now that I've finished the book, it got me thinking if they ever talk about the signs to know if someone's suicidal or if they ever will. I myself believe it's a serious subject to talk about. I have friends who had had suicidal thoughts in the past and I think with me around, they're still here now, alive and enjoying life. (No I won't give out names) So I find it amazing how they talk about not doing drugs or alcohol or no bullying but I don't think I've ever heard of people talk about the signs of suicide.

In Thirteen Reasons Why, Hannah had brought up the subject of suicide to be talked about in one of her classes. She left a note to a teacher anonymously so her classmates thought that someone was doing it as a joke. If someone is suicidal, it is NOT a joke and anyone who thinks or does that seriously need a CAT scan. Suicide is in NO way something to joke about especially when it actually happens. It hasn't to me but I'm sure somewhere in this sad world it has happened where it was assumed as a joke or an act for attention and then it actually happens. And why would anyone use suicide as an excuse for attention? If I want attention, I raise my voice for people to hear me, not say I want to cut my wrists until I hit an artery because it's not funny. If someone is sounding or acting suicidal, know the signs and help them or get help. Talk to them even if they don't want to, or do whatever, just anything to keep that person living to see the next thirty thousand sunrises (AKA little over 80 years).

So again, if you think you have someone close to you who may be suicidal, do NOT hesitate to do anything you can to help them no matter how much they say they're fine when it isn't true.

And to end this serious blog post, free verse poetry I made up today.

If someone is on the brink,
With no where else to turn,
No other options,
What would you do?
Would you let them fall off the edge,
Or pull them back to safety?
Would you let their life end with a sharp blade,
Or take the blade away from their hand?
Would you embrace them and tell them everything will be okay,
And never let go?
What would you do?

XOXO,
Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment