Monday, April 30, 2012

She's a female phenomenon. She's a Glamazon.

So after weeks of competition, the winner of RuPaul's Drag Race has finally been announced. Say hello to your new queen, Sharon Needles!!


Fierce!
It was a tough decision to make and I can see why it was delayed till the reunion show. Along with Sharon there was Chad Michaels, a glamorous Cher impersonater, and Phi Phi O'Hara, a young show girl. All three were determined to win but that winner had to be Sharon Needles and I was sooo happy because she's one of my favorites. While usually going on the runway with a spooky Halloween-ish look, she can also turn in the scary into the beautiful drag queen look that she's able to pull off and look fabulous.

I'm gonna be sad I won't have my favorite show to watch on Mondays for another year, but I'm glad that this was a good season and I hope there are more to come.

What I really love about this show is that you get to see the world of what it's like to be gay, dress in women's clothes and the struggles they went through growing up and being gay. While these queens look gorgeous on the outside, a lot of them hide dark pasts of bullying and abuse. A lot of these queens were picked on terribly as teens; some more worse than others. I heard a couple say they've considered suicide as an option to escape it all. One of them even said that he was put in the hospital on his eighteenth birthday by his own father.

They have a challenge in one of the episodes where they bring in very masculine, straight men and dress them up in drag to create a "family resemblance". I think they have that challenge in specific to bring in people about the world that homosexual people live in and hear of the problems they had to deal with. I don't know if RuPaul intended it or not, but it's really just an eye-opener to people who've been closed off to that world from the conservative homes they come from and they realize that yeah, these guys like men and dress in women's clothes for performing, but they're still human nonetheless. Who's cares who they're attracted to and what they do for a living? Those types of episodes are always my favorite just for that reason.

So now that Drag Race is over, RuPaul's Drag U will be premiering with a new season this summer where they take middle aged women who never have time to make themselves feel beautiful, and the "drag professors" change them into fierce "glamazons". Think I'll check out an episode or two if  summer homework doesn't overwhelm me.

No comments:

Post a Comment