Sunday, April 1, 2012

Dog Day Sundays

Almost time for a new week at school to sta- OMG I JUST REMEMBERED! WE GET FRIDAY OFF AND THEN IT'S SPRING BREAK! YES!!!! God bless four day school weeks!

So other than boring school stuff, we have our spring homecoming where it's once again Battle of the Sexes. Which kinda doesn't make sense to me since last year there were sexual harassment problems, but I digress.

I've finished reading two books this weekend. First of them being Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. I have to read it for my English class and it's a really good book about a dystopia where firemen start fires and burn books instead of putting them out. It's a good quick read for anyone interested. The other book I finished is Catching Fire from The Hunger Games trilogy!

Hunger Games has been my recent obsession since all of my friends have been saying it's a good series, even prior to the movie coming out. So now I'm on the final book, Mockingjay, and despite the mixed opinions I've received, it's been worth my time reading all of them.

Adding on to finishing the 2nd Hunger Games book, when I went to the mall yesterday and went into Hot Topic, there I saw a small section just for Hunger Games merchandise which made me super happy. So I bought myself the replica Mockingjay pin. All the employees there are Hunger Games fans which was another plus and were super nice and fun.

And one thing led to another when we decided to go see The Hunger Games movie while we were at the mall which has its own theater. And... It didn't really meet my expectations. It's not the worst piece of cinema I've seen in my life but... Yeah, it could use so much work. I'll do a review of it since I'm already here.

First off, the camera work. For the most part if the camera's not still, it's either extreme closeups or extremely shaky camera and it looks pretty bad. No offense, but it kinda looks like you gave the camera to Michael J. Fox. You could barely tell what was happening some of the time and it made me very queasy and get headaches. It doesn't help that my family was stuck in the next to the front row since we arrived just as the previews started. I felt like I was gonna throw up.

Another thing that bugged me was the lack of explanation of a lot of aspects of the movie. This is one of the few films where you actually need to read the book if you want to understand what's going on. Marina, who hasn't read the books at all, was very confused at the end about what was going on. She had no idea if they were even living on planet Earth and a whole bunch of other things. Some characters they don't even mention by name! Case in point: Effie and Seneca. Yes! They don't mention either by name even though everyone knows they're there! I mean you have this kinda middle-aged woman wearing crazy colors and is all proper in a way that looks silly and a guy with a funky beard design! And the way they were portrayed was so amazing I was sad when I never heard their names.

The other characters met my expectations though I would've like to have seen Woody Harrelson as more of a drunken mess when he was Haymitch but I think that's just based on personal opinion.

When it came to visuals, it was.. a hit and miss. When you saw the people of the capitol it was just vibrant with all sorts of colors. As my sister would describe, "A world ruled by Japanese bubblegum pop". Yet when it came to the Games, I would've liked to have seen more. This may be a PG-13 film but the books are so descriptive on violence that it's pretty scary. I didn't really find the scenarios displayed in the film true to the actual struggles for survival in the books. In the books, Katniss had a difficult time finding water and shelter, and towards the end, Peeta was practically dead he was so injured and sick. I found it very unrealistic if you left a group of 24 teens in the wilderness to fend for themselves in a battle where only one comes out alive.

Some scenes were bang on the dot just as I imagined but I kinda spoiled a bit too much already so I'll avoid going into detail. But I did like how they added what was going on outside of the arena such as the people of District 12 viewing their two tributes struggling, and Haymitch persuading sponsors to send medicine and stuff to Katniss and Peeta.

Just one more critic and that is, the people sitting behind me who never read the book. I got kinda annoyed when I heard them whisper, "So-and-so died??". Pretty obvious you guys never read the book and you would've known that most of the characters will probably die and this particular character died in a different fashion.

So to sum it up, this is a film that you definitely have to read the actual book to understand most of the plot and sitting as far away from the screen as possible so you don't vomit from the crap camera work, but again it's not the worse movie I've seen; it just meets in the middle of my standards for a good film.

2 comments:

  1. HIII!!!! I LOVE EASTER!! TWO WEEKS OFF! (I had friday off too!)

    I found the review really interesting as I'm going to see The Hunger Games this wednesday and I'm not too sure what to expect, considering that I love the book and films never tend to be quite the same.

    Thanks for the advice, must claim back seats. *Scribbles in notepad* ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol Good book series huh? I'm currently reading Mockingjay and hoping to get finished by the end of my Spring Break ^^

      Delete