Monday, November 21, 2011

What'd you do July 24th 2010?

I looked back in an old blog post and remembered on July 24th I went to a dentist to get my teeth cleaned.

While that was happening people all around the world were videotaping their daily lives in the documentary Life in a Day.

I wanted to watch this documentary because it looked like a really interesting documentary. As it turns out, I was right. Out of 4,500 hours of footage from 80 thousand submissions from 192 countries filmed, an hour and 35 minutes condenses and summarizes the day of July 24th 2010 from the eyes of many different people of different cultures.

It's really interesting to see what's considered normal for different people across the world. Whether it's living in the streets or a cemetery or a small apartment people go through their lives as how they see it and their views on certain aspects of life are. Like a guy travelling the world by bicycle from Korea who wishes for Korea to be united as one. A woman from India making offerings to the Hindu god Vishnu. And as shocking as this sound, riots in Germany. People even answer the questions of what's in their pockets, what they love and what they fear. You'd be amazed with what these people have to say.

I love movies like this because it really opens up people like us to different cultures and what they think on life compared to what other people go through normally. You see the hardships others have to face to make it through the day. Different points of view really shape our world to what it is now with how many cultures there are. I mean in America we really have no specific way to show that we're Americans. We're all just a bunch of different cultures jumbled together in 50 states. So I like seeing documentaries and stuff about different places around the world. I see things I never see every day and it fascinates me.

I remember when I first saw the documentary Babies which recorded the first year of the lives of four different babies from Africa, Mongolia, Japan and America. It's amazing the conditions the children from Africa and Mongolia live in are normal for them and they're fine with the conditions they live in compared to the clean lives of Japan and America. It opens the world to other ways of life. It makes people less selfish.

XOXO,
Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment