Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Try to remember the last time a children's movie made you cry

That's how I felt when I saw the new Pixar film, Brave. As of now, Brave is by far what I'd like to call a masterpiece by Pixar Animation Studios. The animation: Stunning and beautiful. Story: Amazing, touching, dramatic, and comedic at the same time. Characters: Also amazing and at a lot of times, hilarious.

Brave focuses on Pixar's first princess, Merida. She's a wild Scottish teenage girl who loves nothing more than just to be the free spirit that she is. Yet she's constantly pushed by her mother to be a proper princess. It doesn't exactly help that she's now pressured to pick a prince from three other clans to take her hand in marriage. Obviously, Merida wants absolutely nothing to do with marriage and just wants to be free. So she runs off to find some way to change her fate, yet little does she know that her desire for freedom could put her family in danger.

Now I won't give too much of the plot away, but trust me when I say it's nothing like I've ever seen in a kids' film before. It has the best visuals Pixar's had in its movies yet and a story that brought me to tears at the end. And I can't remember the last time a movie for kids made me do that. Of course it has a lot of humor that kids will enjoy too (Now if only parents would learn to keep them quiet in movie theaters..).

And of course with a new Pixar film there is a new Pixar short. This one is the best I've ever seen. It's titled La Luna and it follows a trio of (stereotypical) Italians on a boat ride in the middle of an ocean. The trio is a little boy with his father and grandfather, and they ascend up to the moon to sweep the stars that have fallen on the moon that gives off its light. Again, won't say how it ends but trust me when I say it's beautifully done and really cute.

So if you haven't seen it yet, go see Brave!


1 comment:

  1. WASN'T IT AMAZING??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    I LOOOOOOOOOV THIS MOVIE!!! I CRIED FIVE TIMES, NO LIE. IT RAWKS!!! WELL DONE, PIXAR!!!!
    MY NEW FAVE RIGHT NOW!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete