Tuesday, October 2, 2012

My First Con


This last weekend I finally went to my first anime/comic convention ever: Sac-Con. It's nothing big like Comic-Con or Fanime or anything. Hell it only lasts a day compared to a whole weekend. But it was still as awesome and I even was able to buy something as a memory of my first con: an England plushie.

I went as Lady Bruce Banner and I went with my sister, who dressed up as Lady Loki, and her friends who were Thor and Lady Deadpool. Sarah, the girl dressed up as Deadpool, had a lot of people ask to take photos of her, even professional photographers. Give her credit she did have an awesome costume. Got to see a lot of other great cosplayers including Storm Troopers, Hetalia and quite a few Adventure Time cosplays which actually fit because the lady who voices Princess Bubblegum was there that day. Unfortunately, it was very crowded and very hot, and Sacramento's two hours from home, so we had to leave early. But it was great seeing all the great cosplays and all the stuff the vendors were selling, including some fantastic artwork.

I have to say out of all the cosplays I've seen, I'm not really fond of Homestuck cosplay... It's just really overrated and lazy. When you really look at it, it's mostly just wigs and T-shirts and some accessories. It doesn't look like much effort is put into it. It's just really boring when a lot of people do the same cosplays. It just looks so dull. I'm also not a Homestuck fan either. I tried getting into it but there's WAY too much going on for me to understand. I appreciate that it does have fans, but it's just so overrated and I don't like seeing a crap ton of fan art and cosplays from it. Especially when there are other great cosplays out there that are beautiful and complex.

Anyway!

They gave us fliers of another Sac-Con that's gonna be in December on a Sunday which is actually gonna have Steve Blum as one of the guests. That, I wanna get into. Plus it's only six dollars to get in so it's cheap. But there's also the big SacAnime convention in January that lasts the whole weekend and includes more celebrities like Liam O'Brien and the one and only Todd Haberkorn. THAT I want to go to. It's a lot more expensive because there are more events but I hope I get enough leftover Christmas money to go. And it's the last weekend before I go back to school from Christmas break so I can have a bit of fun before going back to school. Hopefully I can get more decent cosplay before then.

I never really have enough time to plan out for stuff like go to anime conventions which sucks because there is one just thirty minutes away in San Jose every Memorial Day weekend, and I still haven't gone to it. My Lady Bruce Banner cosplay just consists of jeans and a purple button up shirt. I tried getting an Italy cosplay a couple summers ago but it's pretty cheap and I only wore it once. On top of which my mom won't let me buy stuff online so I either gotta buy stuff from the closest GoodWill or sew it myself. Again, I don't have enough time because school just stresses me enough, and I'm too busy thinking of wanting to do other things but always forget to bring them up. Like, oh I don't know, getting a job or getting my license. Ugh..

I'm still somewhat stuck in post-con exhaustion except now I'm getting a cold. Actually that's just from school. It seems like it's that time of year where most everyone at school is starting to get sick at the same time. Always fun, huh? Having your nose stuffed up with goo and feeling like a pile of dog crap is probably the best feeling in the world. I took a Nyquil a short while ago so I may just pass out and sleep like a boulder. Ah well. Enjoy the pics of the con.

1 comment:

  1. omg! haha i LOVE cons! hope you had a lot of fun at this one, and sorry about the cold :( hope you get better soon!

    my first con was a big one...animeboston. it took us three hours to get there, but it was so worth it. unfortunately, i could only spend a day there because it was on easter weekend. however, i did spend so much money that my parents had banned me from ever going to another one, haha. But once i get my own car, I'm draggin my little bro to another one!

    cons are so much fun, I enjoy them too much. I went as misty, b/c at the time she was the only red-headed anime character i knew who had 1) a simple costume, and 2) a flat chest like mine. (I say this b/c I was gonna be orihime, if I could get away with stuffing watermelons down my bra).

    anyway, it was a good thing i can pull of misty, b/c so many people were freaking out when they saw me. they yelled 'MISTY' across the building, ran up to hug me, wanted pics, etc. my favorite fans were this couple; the guy wore a mudkip hat and the girl a torchic hat. it was too adorbs.

    there were a lot of anime voice actors there that day, but i missed them :( the coolest thing, however, was seeing at least five guys dressed as ike, my fave chara, and hacing almost every single person there dressed as a KH character or a member of Organization XIII.

    that, and playing huge-ass games of marco polo and screeching ADVENTURE TIME when anyone asks what time it was.

    sorry for the long comment! hope you get over that cold real soon! and go to more cons! haha XD

    ReplyDelete