Saturday, January 14, 2012

Go 49ers!!

So nothing much is going on now that I'm back in America. I just gotten over a small cold I had due to shifting from summer weather, to the super cold, to the moderate weather of California and thank God since I've been feeling like crap. Already my teachers are tossing work at us like mad people which is pure insanity since I'm trying to avoid having to take home twenty pound textbooks on my back. Luckily we have our three day weekend for MLKJ Day and I can relax again. Maybe I'll actually catch up on some writing and finish reading The Help.

American football's become the current craze of my household as we do plan to host another Super Bowl party and our team, the San Francisco 49ers, just beat the Saints today! So if they get into the Super Bowl at the next game, my house will have everyone and their mother for the Super Bowl (figuratively speaking of course). So keeping our fingers crossed.

Last night while I was checking my e-mail, my eyes caught an article about a 9-year-old girl that died from Huntington's disease and was cyber-bullied by a neighbor. An adult for that matter. This extremely ticked me off. Apparently this neighbor named Jennifer Petkov was posting pictures of the girl, Kathleen, with her head with crossbones and pictures of Kathleen's mother, Laura who died three years ago of Huntington's disease, next to the Grim Reaper. On top of which, her truck had a coffin attached to it when she drove around the neighborhood.

I don't what this lady's problem is honestly, but just why? Why would you purposely bully an innocent girl who has a serious problem? Are you just stupid or completely heartless or both? For those who have no clue what Huntington's disease is, here's the best definition I can give in layman's terms:

What it does is that nerve cells in the brain waste away, ruining the ability to do... well everything. Swallowing, moving your eyes, learning, writing, and it just simply makes you slow in doing anything plus it cause the muscles to jerk and contract. It leads to dementia, depression, OCD, and bipolar disorder. Usually it begins in the 30s and 40s but because of genetics, people can get it in their 20s and younger too. The more people in a family that have Huntington's disease, the higher chance of developing symptoms at a younger age. With children like Kathleen, they can get seizures and have problems with motor skills and behavior. Eventually it gets worse over time and a person with this disease loses the ability to walk, talk and to take care of themselves. People can take medication for the symptoms but there's no actual cure for it.

So it's sad that a little girl had such a terrible illness and all her friends, family and neighbors knew that she would eventually die. And it's frustrating that someone would be so cruel as to bully a sweet girl who has a serious issue. To be honest, I don't care what Jennifer Petkov's stupid excuse is. You never ever say or do crap like that about anyone; much less someone with Huntington's disease. I hope she's proud of the hate pages on Facebook and negative comments she's gotten.

Yet another rant released from my brain.

XOXO,
Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment